2007년 8월 2일 목요일

Seoul Saturdays Saga Part Two

I don't want to make this a political blog, but something happened in my school I worked with that reminded me of the hotly debated topic of Feminism in America.

So one day, I instructed my students to write about their favorite sport, and one girl proceeded to say that she didn't like sports and thus couldn't write one. I motioned jogging with my arms and said "you don't like..?" and with a similar look on her face, she responded "I don't like to exercise."

I decided to get creative... I positioned my hand as if I had a remote in it (Keep in mind, these kid's English skills were limited) and said "Do you like television?" She said "Yes!" So I responded "FINGER EXERCISE!! THAT'S YOUR SPORT" and then the girl beside her wrote "mouth exercise" on her paper, so I rolled my eyes and said "Ahhh...you like to talk."

These girls weren't the only women in Korea that don't like sports; just about every Korean girl I talk to doesn't like sports or excercising. I think in America we forget that our country is a lot more Feminist than it sometimes appears. Title IX policies have stimulated interest in women's athleltics . Don't get me wrong; in certain ways Korea is very progressive in regards to women's issues. You'll find women professionals everywhere, which sometimes comes in conflict with the Korean tradition of drinking everything your boss pours for you at work meeting meals. (I was reading an article about that the other day)

Interestingly enough though, the lack of interest in athletics for women doesn't necessarily correspond with poorer health. There are no fat Koreans (or not many at least).

Speaking of women's issues, I went to the Folk Museum...this place..


where my Korean friend pointed me to an exhibit of a women's daggers. She explained to me that not long ago, Korean women kept these daggers around them at all times in case a man who was not her husband tried to take advantage of her. The dagger was supposed to protect her against the man, but if she did not succeed, she was to kill herself with it because she was tainted.

I don't really have much more to say, so I'll post pictures of the rest of things I saw that lovely Saturday:


Changdeokgung Palace

More Pictures from Changdeokung:



These spikes under the rooftops are so birds do not make nests...





And then I ventured off to the artsy district near the Anguk station. Korean art exhibits in Seoul are so progressive and illuminating. One was a painting blended with holograms and everything. Can't take pictures in the galleries but here's some pictures of the "mall" of art galleries and little trinket shops.






From the top of the staircase, it's flowers all the way down...


댓글 없음: