2007년 7월 17일 화요일

National Lawmaker's Day

On Monday at the school I work at, I was welcomed by a lovely surprise. There was no school on Tuesday because it was National Lawmaker's Day (as the students translated for me, the official translation is Constitution Day). The holiday celebrates the selection of the first members of the South Korean National Assembly. Imagine if we had a day celebrating our politicians. I could never imagine that happening. I'd be willing to bet that we're more likely to have an equivalent to "Guy Fawkes Day" where we'd burn effigies of our politicians than celebrating their accomplishments. I mean we do have the 4th of July, but that's more of a celebration of rhetoric and a military declaration rather than policy making.

Oh! Just read on Wikipedia that 2007 is the last year of South Korea giving their workers a day off on Constitution Day. I guess every nation-state's glorification of democracy has an expiration date.

So on my day off, I explored some of the more secluded areas of Seoul. I found some very interesting museums. The museums were all cheap if not free, and usually they give you free tea for making your way up there. The two museums I stepped inside were the Buddhist Art Museum and the Silk Road Museum. At the Buddhist Art Museum, the woman at the front desk gave me postcards as a "present." Point of advice for traveling: always say you're a student. The deals are better. I'm planning to be a "student" until I grow gray hairs; maybe even then I'll still say I'm a student. Some of the places give you the discounted rate until you're 25... guess I'll have one more year to enjoy that privilege, just like being on my mother's health insurance.

On my journey to the remote areas of Seoul, I found the most picturesque areas of the city. Too bad I don't have my memory card for my camera yet. The blend of the traditional and cosmopolitan elements of the city was beyond belief.

댓글 1개:

Unknown :

Too bad that we don't have Lawmaker's day.
However there is movement to celebrate Repeal day on December 5th(of Prohibition)