2007년 7월 9일 월요일

Happy Birthday to Me (saengil chukha hamnida)

Anyone who knows me knows that I like my actual birthdays to be very low key. Usually this involves doing something that I've never done before (or haven't done in a while) without inviting the world or plummeting myself to alcohol rock bottom.

Fortunately, this year was no exception. My roommate (a Hispanic Coloradan), a South African Jewish guy, two Korean women, and I took the Subway to Incheon City, where we visited Chinatown and the General McArthur Statue in Freedom Park. We were going to go to a Buddhist shrine, but that was before we realized that it was on the other side of country.

On the way there, I taught one of the Korean girls the world 'telekinesis.' (My students that I start teaching Monday probably won't be ready for that word yet). After telling her the word and putting in into context, she proceeded by typing it into her phone, looking up the meaning (the phone has an English dictionary), and putting it into her new word database. Yes, my friends, when it comes to technology, the far East has us beat.

Early to bed; early to rise for my first day of teaching.

댓글 1개:

Keesler :

Hey Peter! Sorry I did not respond to your facebook message sooner but I have been out of town. I also see that you and I have the same idea of keeping a blog here about our experiences in Korea. I have found a ton of other blogs from other foreigners (mostly Canadians)who will be teaching in Suwon with me. But yeah.. .we should meet up and explore each other's cities! Or meet up in Seoul.