2007년 7월 13일 금요일

The Wild Goose-Goose Chase

Here's my story of Woodstock '07- Incheon City:

It was my first weekend after a full week's worth of classes. So off I went (on a bus) to downtown Incheon City (Bupeyong district) in search of a bar where foreigners hang out called Goose Goose. Once I reached my stop, I couldn't find Goose Goose. I asked around, but no one could really help me much (One guy did dial the Korean equivalent of 411 for me though). What was odd was there were places called "Western bars" on every street corner, but once I stepped inside of them, there were no actual Westerners to be found (I later learned that 'Western bar' is simply the label given to places where a lot of beer is served)

I eventually ran into an actual bar for Westerners called Woodstock with the logo of the Woodstock festival outside of it. There, a Canadian told me where Goose Goose was. Goose Goose had more Koreans than foreigners, but there were English speaking people there to talk to and share experiences with. One guy worked at an English Village, which are pretty much educational theme parks for kids to visit for weeks at a time, so they can catch a glimpse of what it's like in an English speaking country. Judging from some of my first week mishaps, I can only say that I wish there were some Korean Villages back home that I could have visited before coming here.

When "I finally made it back to Woodstock" (the bar), I spent a short time listening to some Doors tunes and looking at the Woodstock memorabilia before leaving to catch the last bus. The final spectacle of the night was seeing two Korean girls fighting by pouring flour over each other. What an "enriching" cultural experience.
---------------------------------------------
Speaking of Woodstock, there's a festival coming up called the Pentaport festival featuring Muse, The Chemical Brothers, Damien Rice, and several others. Hopefully, I'll be able to round up some camping gear in time, so I can see Koreans that are as excited about Western progressive music as I am.

댓글 3개:

AnotherWhiteGuy :

leavin comments is more difficult than it may appear.

Mitch

Keesler :

oh wow... where and when is this festival taking place? I love me some Muse and Chemical Brothers.

moodyinkorea :

http://www.pentaport.com